High Court (India)

January 12, 2017

HC Slams Government Over Nursery Admission Scheme


nursery

The Delhi government has been critisiced by the High Court for creating “chaos” in the Delhi Nursery Admission procedure.

“Why have you put up a new notification in January, when the admission process starts in January... This makes the citizen jittery, who does not know where to go,” justice Manmohan fumed.

The judge noted that this behaviour of the government created “chaos and confusion” for parents who didn’t get enough time to plan admission process of their kids.

“It has become very difficult to deal with this government... In the last four years, you (government) have come up with at least three notifications in the month of January,” justice Manmohan remarked.

A plea was filed by the Action Committee of Unaided Recognised Private Schools which challenged the notification restricting private schools on public land to admit children only through neighbourhood or distance criteria.

The government had announced new policy which was approved by lieutenant governor Anil Baijal. One of the major problems about 300 private schools, which are built on Delhi Development Authority (DDA) land, has with the new guidelines is that they can no longer deny admission to anyone who seeks admission from their neighbourhood.

The government’s January 7 notification said these private schools cannot “refuse admission to the residents of the locality” and fill 75% of the capacity. The remaining 25% seats are mandatorily reserved for children whose parents’ annual income is less than Rs 1 lakh a year.

Related Post

latest News

  • Drivers can show vehicle documents in electronic form when demanded by any official: Madras HC

    Disposing of various petitions against a memorandum which stated that vehicle drivers should carry original documents including licence, the Madras Hi...

    Read More
  • Barbour calls Levi’s "one of the world's biggest trademark bullies"

    After receiving numerous threats from Levi’s, Barbour filed a preemptive lawsuit against the brand in New York Federal Court to get a court order pr...

    Read More
  • CJI JS Khehar Supports Entry Of Foreign Lawyers, Law Firms To India

    On July 8, while inaugurating all India seminar of the International Law Association at New Delhi, Chief Justice of India (CJI) JS Khehar said that he...

    Read More